Saturday, November 16, 2013

Great Moustaches of History: Sir Mark Spitz

Gentlemen, today we celebrate one of the most formidable moustaches of the Cold War era. A gold medal-winning moustache. A moustache so aquatically dominate, that its in-pool record would go unbroken for 36 years. Thirty. Six. Years. Yes, today’s Great Moustache of History belongs to the wonder of the water, Sir Mark Spitz.

Sir Spitz’s ‘stache is indisputable proof that a good moustache looks good in any outfit, even speedos. In a tale published by Ask Men (which I read in Now I Know), Spitz purportedly joked with the then-Soviet swim coach telling him that his moustache “deflects water away from my mouth, allows my rear end to rise and make me bullet-shaped in the water”. According to the tale, every male Russian swimmer sported a ‘stache of their own by the following year.

Gentlemen, Sir Mark Spitz...



No comments:

Post a Comment